Match Report written by Martin Cope

Sunday November 2, 2014

The week the Sharks were playing against a team towards the bottom of the table, Ewell Saxons. They had a blue kit similar to ours so we had to wear a new red kit. The Sharks were well rested after a week off playing football due to half term and were looking forward to playing again.

The game started, and about 2-3 minutes in Ewell scored their first goal. A pass across goal was intercepted by a Ewell player who poked it into the back of the net past Ben, who had ‘won the raffle’ for goalkeeper. The Sharks quickly equalised though, a low cross into the box which came to Joe who confidently booted it into the back of the net.

The second goal came soon after, when the Sharks conceded a free kick, which was hit past Ben into the back of the net. A penalty was given to the Sharks, Gabriel calmly stepped up to take it, but it was unfortunately saved. Half time came and the Sharks were still losing, but their heads hadn’t dropped.

Nearly straight from kick off, the Sharks were pushing for a goal to get back on level terms. They were clearly dominating now and were by far the better team. It was of no surprise then that the Sharks got another penalty. It was Francis this time who stepped up to take it; unluckily the goalkeeper once again saved his shot. Then the ball was played through to Nile, who, unfortunately, was taken out by the goalkeeper. Luckily the ball bounced back to Gabriel who hit it past the defenders into the back of the net.

The 3rd goal came when Ben received the ball on the wing and played a sublime through ball to Francis, who prodded it past the goalkeeper into an empty net. The Sharks were ecstatic to be on top of the game for the first time. All this time Sylvester, in goal for the second half, was saving the opposition’s shots left and right, keeping us in the game. The 4th and 5th goals came in quick succession, both of which came from Gabriel.

When the full time whistle went the Sharks were relieved. They had won, it was a difficult game, but Ewell just couldn’t keep up with the fast paced football from our players. They had been outdone.

Hopefully the Sharks can win next week against Whitton Wanderers Eagles, who sit at second bottom of the table with 3 points.