Match Report written by Francis Cope

After a great start to the league from the Sharks, two wins out of three, we wanted to continue our good form and get three points out of this game. We knew before the game that it was going to be one of our toughest opponents, as they are one of the best teams in the league.

Starting off the match, we kicked off and scored straight away! A good move from myself, Sylvester and Gabriel, ended in Gabriel taking it round the keeper with ease, then slotting it into the empty net. 1-0. Unfortunately, our lead didn’t last long as we gave away a free kick just inside our own half, which was smashed over our heads and into the back off the net. 1-1. Being a bit unsettled from this goal, we were losing our way in the midfield and let one of their players get too much space on the left to cross it into the smallest player on the pitch, who headed it home. 1-2.

Going into the second half we wanted the win and were fighting for every loose ball. Everyone was playing their part in our defence, midfield, and attack. Rory, Joel, Luca, Elliot and Martin all saved us many times from oncoming attackers, with Rory and Joel in particular pulling off ‘dench’ tackles. The midfield from Sylvester, Enrico, Phin, Joe and Gabriel all played beautiful passes through for Ben and me to run onto. Finally our efforts paid off, as Enrico and I won the ball back in their half and crossed it into Ben who neatly chipped the keeper, who could do nothing but punch it onto the post where if rebounded in. 2-2.

After all of our efforts, we conceded. We had left a man unmarked in the middle, who ran through our defence and easily finished the shot. 2-3. But we weren’t beat yet. Giving everything we had to get a goal to get us back into the game, we managed to score a magnificent equaliser! A great cross from Luca, passed on by Gabriel to Ben who hit it up and above the keeper, too high for him to get to. 3-3. Now it was everyone in defence. We had everyone back for the last three minutes, and were attempting to play a Chelsea-inspired tactic of Parking the Bus. It paid off.

The match ended in a draw, we had managed to come away with one point. A great comeback for the Sharks, and an even better start to Division 2.