Sunday October 30th 2016
Match Report by Simon

The Sharks continued with their busy holiday fixture list, playing away at Lyne on Sunday, and registered a second successive high scoring win.
Due to injuries and illness, the Sharks were only able to field 10 players on this occasion but even as fatigue set in during the second half the performance rarely resembled being a man down. Following a spell during which Lyne had two goals disallowed, one for pushing at a corner the other for offside, the boys were able to re-assert themselves and finished the game the stronger team and worthy winners.
Kicking slightly uphill in the first half, the Sharks opened the scoring through Francis, who raced on to a through ball easily outpacing Lyne’s defenders, but were then surprisingly trailing 2-1 before the break.
The nature of the Sharks opening goal became the recurring theme of the match as the second half saw the Sharks regain the lead, hold off a spirited fight back and then pull away to win 5-3 at the final whistle. Francis notched all five of the Sharks goals as Lyne were simply unable to deal with the movement and pace of the Sharks striker on the occasions that the midfield boys’ hard work created opportunities to get quality ball into the attacking third and particularly in behind the Lyne back four. Normally a goal is a goal but when a striker gets five, it’s fair to pick a favourite and one sticks in the mind; breaking through the inside left channel into the area, Francis cut back onto his right foot and curled it past the keeper into the top right hand corner. It was the goal that sealed the three points.
With Jayden continuing to recover, the rota system of half games in goal continued. Vincent and Seb took their turns on Sunday and both made important saves when the game was still in the balance. Lyne played their part in an entertaining game and with 10 men it required energy, concentration and skill from all the defenders and goalkeepers to keep the game under the Sharks control.